Qualified high school seniors could earn $1,000 REC scholarship - DEADLINE is March 17, 2017
Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative’s management and board of trustees understand full well the rising costs of education and are pleased to announce the opportunity for area graduating high school seniors to apply for the REC college scholarship.
Each year the cooperative awards four college scholarships to students from across its four-county service area. One student from each county—Craig/Rogers, Delaware, Mayes and Ottawa—is selected to receive the $1,000 REC college scholarship.
Guidelines and eligibility rules for making applications are detailed below. Contact Clint Branham at 1-800-256-6405 ext. 9340 for additional information or application deadline.
To be eligible to receive Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative’s academic scholarship, a student must:
- Be a senior in one of the high schools in the cooperative’s service area (see list of schools to the left);
- Reside in a household served by Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative;
- Be in the top 1/3 of his/her graduating class.
1. A total of four scholarships will be awarded. Each scholarship will be in the amount of $1,000 and will be non-renewable. One scholarship will be awarded to a qualifying student in each of the four counties—Craig/Rogers, Delaware, Mayes and Ottawa—in which Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative serves electric power.
2. The scholarship must be used at an accredited college or university. The scholarship funds will be issued directly to the college or university attended by the student.
3. The winner must become a full-time college student.
4. The winners will be asked to provide a social security number when the scholarship is sent to the college of their choice.
5. The Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative board of trustees will act as the scholarship committee. Items for consideration will be: academic ability, school and community involvement, letters of recommendation, and financial need. The decision of the board will be final.
Instructions for Scholarship Application
1. Click here for the Scholarship Application.
2. Attach the following additional documents with your completed application:
a. Current high school transcript;
b. Two letters of recommendation—one from a school source (teacher, counselor, principal, etc.) and one from an outside, non-relative source (youth pastor, family friend, etc.); and
c. If available, a copy of a letter of acceptance from the college you plan to attend.
3. Mail or hand-deliver your application on or before the deadline to: Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative, Attention: Clint Branham, Scholarship Coordinator, P.O. Box 948, Vinita, OK 74301.