Energy Camp - May 30-June 2, 2017
deadline to apply is march 17, 2017
Each year, Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative holds an essay contest to choose four area eighth-grade students for a week-long adventure to YouthPower Energy Camp. Energy Camp, sponsored annually by the Oklahoma Association of Electric Cooperatives, is an event held at Canyon Camp near Red Rock Canyon in Hinton, Oklahoma. Students are selected to participate based on their scores in an essay contest.
The top four essay winners will enjoy a week of fun-filled activities geared to sharpen their leadership skills and gain a better understanding of rural electrification. Students will have the opportunity to run a mock utility company first-hand, climb a pole, watch a co-op crew at work, and tour one of the largest generating facilities in Oklahoma.
Other activities included during the week include a trip to a nearby go cart track, volleyball tournaments, swimming, hiking, and roasting marshmallows over an evening campfire with new found friends from every corner of the state.
The cooperative's board of trustees strongly believes the youth of today are our cooperative’s future members and employees. They’re valuable to us. Exposing them at an early age to cooperative values will keep them interested in rural electrification as they mature into the leaders of tomorrow.
- Students must currently be classified as eighth grade students attending a school in Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative’s service area. It is not necessary for the parents/guardians of the students to be members of Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Contestants are required to write a 500-word or less essay on the topic “The future of electricity.”
- Click here for the YouthPower Energy Camp Entry Form.
- Although reference materials are available on this website, we encourage students to seek other sources of information, such as libraries, relatives, magazines, internet, etc.
- Mail or hand-deliver your entry form and essay on or before the deadline date to: Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative, Attention: Clint Branham, Youth Programs Coordinator, P.O. Box 948, Vinita, OK 74301.
- Decision of the judge is final.